Technology has been rapidly advancing and leaving a few, once integral business gadgets, on the brink of extinction.
In a recent article “10 office gadgets that won’t survive,” The Telegraph paid homage to endangered office gadgets. Here are a few:
- Compact disks
- Memory sticks
- Desk Phone
The Telegraph suggests that cloud computing networks is largely to blame for the decline in CDs and memory sticks. In addition, employees can easily replace calculators, with computer based programs.
The rolodex and the desk phone are struggling due to the increase of work cell phones, especially smartphones. A recent survey, conducted by TNS Business Wave reports that smartphones now represent more than half of all handheld wireless devices used by corporate liable wireless users, an increase from 22 percent from last year. In addition, tablets are also becoming a popular business tool.
Interested in cool office gadgets? These aren’t likely to become staples in the workplace, but they show how creative technology can be:
- USB Air-Conditioned Shirt—Is the stress of a deadline making you a little hot? Cool down with a USB air-conditioned shirt.
- Portable Sleeping Cube—Napping at work has never been so comfortable—or easy—than with Nappak's portable sleeping cube. Just be sure your company allows naps before you inflate this cubicle-sized mattress.
- Bright Blinds—For those of you who hate never seeing daylight at work, try Bright Blinds. These illuminated wall hangings simulate windows.
- USB Stylus Pen—This pen is equipped with its own USB storage device.
- USB Beverage Chiller—You will never have a warm drink again with the USB beverage chiller at your desk. It plugs right into your USB port on your computer and keeps your drink ice cold all day.
For the entire list, read Cool Office Gadgets for Everyone, Even Bacon Lovers.