The typical culprits behind injuries in the workplace include wet floors, inadequate lighting, wires, etc. However, a recent report has put a common fixture in the spotlight—toilets.
Last month, two Department of Homeland Security employees were injured after a toilet exploded at a General Services Administration (GSA) building. One of the employees had to be hospitalized for minor injuries.
According to a GSA spokesperson, the exploding toilet was caused by a control system malfunction that caused a buildup of pressure within the plumbing system.
Shortly after the incident occurred, GSA notified employees that bathrooms were off-limits. According to WUSA-TV, the memo read:
"DO NOT flush toilets or use any domestic water. Due to a mechanical failure, there is high air pressure in the domestic water system that resulted in damage to toilets. The engineering staff is working to correct the issue."
Federal employees, have no fear; GSA announced the toilets are back to normal.
Do you have any strange safety stories? Submit your story and it could be included in an upcoming column!