It seems that even Big Ben can’t keep employees from running late. A recent CareerBuilder survey looked at UK employers’ attitudes towards tardiness and found some interesting statistics and some outrageous excuses employees gave for running late.
UK employers seemed to be somewhat lenient towards arriving late, 46 percent responding that they didn’t care if employees ran late as long as their quality of work was not affected and the employees stuck to deadlines.
However, the weakened economy may be affecting UK employers’ flexible attitude. Almost 40 percent of the survey respondents said that they are keeping a closer eye on when employees are starting their workday.
Excuses come hand-in-hand with late arrivals in the U.S., and in the UK it's no different. Here are a couple of outrageous excuses employees gave employers for their tardiness:
- There was a bank robbery in front of my house.
- I was concerned about an impending comet impact.
- My cat was stuck in the cat flap.
- My car was blocked in by a stolen car and the police were taking fingerprints.
- I had difficulty adjusting to the climate change from winter to summer.
- I always leave at the same time. Sometimes I’m late, sometimes I’m not. I can’t figure it out.
Have you heard an outrageous excuse for being late? Send us your 'Strange but True' experience.