Log in to view your state's edition
You are not logged in
Hide Topic Navigator
National Summary
Visas are required for persons from other countries to enter the United States for work. There are two kinds of visas: immigrant and nonimmigrant. An immigrant visa is a visa issued to a person wishing to live permanently in the United States. Immigration law provides for a limited allocation of employment-based immigrant visas each year. Nonimmigrant visas are for international travelers (citizens of other countries) coming to the United States temporarily. These visas allow travel to a U.S. port of entry (an airport, for example) to request permission of the Department of Homeland Security immigration inspector to enter the United States. A visa does not guarantee entry into the United States. The type of visa needed is defined by immigration law and relates to the principal purpose of the person's travel. While in the United States, temporary visitors are restricted to the activity or reason for which their nonimmigrant visa was issued, with few exceptions. The most important employment-related nonimmigrant visa is the H-1B visa, which is issued to individuals who work in specialty areas of expertise (usually highly technical and professional workers such as computer scientists or engineers). Generally, a bachelor's degree is required to obtain this visa.
Summary for [Your State]

Related Topics
Filter Document Types:
Filter Dates: Applies to News & White Papers
82563faqs.aspxQuestions & Answers Can a student on an F1 visa work for us during the summer? 06/22/2010National
83637faqs.aspxQuestions & Answers Can an employer pass on the cost of an H1-B application fee to the employee being hired? 10/29/2010National
83636faqs.aspxQuestions & Answers Can we ask an H-1B worker pay for part of the visa application fee? 10/29/2010National
81955timesavers.aspxPosters Employee Rights Under the H-2A Program (WHD 1491)  National
81956timesavers.aspxPosters Employee Rights Under the H-2A Program (WHD 1491, Spanish)  National
1330state_comparison_charts.aspxGuidance Employment of Alien Crewmembers (D-1 Visas)  National
1328state_comparison_charts.aspxGuidance Employment of Alien Nurses (H-1C Visas)  National
1329state_comparison_charts.aspxGuidance Employment of Foreign Workers in Specialty Occupations (H-1B Visas)  National
80329faqs.aspxQuestions & Answers J-1 sponsors are not required to provide health insurance to people on J-1 visas, but we are required to ensure that they are in fact insured during their stay in the U.S. Can you provide more information on the health insurance requirements? 07/26/2009National
1331state_comparison_charts.aspxGuidance Temporary Employment of Agricultural Workers (H-2A Visas)  National
9042state_comparison_charts.aspxGuidance Temporary Employment of Nonagricultural Workers (H-2B Visas)  National
86835faqs.aspxQuestions & Answers We just hired an employee who says he is on Optional Practical Training (OPT) and he is stating he is not eligible to have FICA taxes taken out of his pay check. Do you have information on this? 04/11/2011National
82474faqs.aspxQuestions & Answers What visas or permits are needed for employees traveling regularly from the U.S. to Canada? 06/11/2010National
Copyright � 2014 Business & Legal Resources. All rights reserved. 800-727-5257
This document was published on http://HR.BLR.com
Document URL: http://hr.blr.com/HR-topics/Staffing-Training/Visas