George Taylor discusses performance appraisal job dimensions goals and objectives in a BLR webinar entitled ‘Performance Appraisals: Perfect Your Process to Improve Performance and Retention’. He provides the following information about performance appraisal job dimensions goals and objectives:
Each job family within the organization will have its own job dimension. Defined measures within the organization will also help the organization define each job dimension and maintain consistency of such definitions across job families. Job dimension goals and objectives can have defined measurements. For example, a job dimension goal could be ‘Outstanding’. Other options include ‘Meets Standards’ and ‘Below Standard’.
- Ability to achieve goals above established standards
- Ability to see task through despite limited resources
- Ability to exercise independent judgment consistent with functional objectives
- Meets goals that supports established standards
- Effectively to communicate resource challenges as necessary
- Ability to collaborate with supervisors to achieve functional objectives
- Fails to meet goals needed to support standard
- Fails to communicate resource challenges
- Does not effectively collaborate with others to meet functional objectives
These sample measurements can help organization create and define their own measures. The measures are more effective if transparency is used in their development and usage. How the bottom-line was determined is beneficial in determining what measures to use for the performance appraisal management system.
George Taylor is the president and owner of Vision Achieved Strategies (www.vastrat.com). Vision Achieved Strategies (VA Strat) was founded in 2004 and is recognized for expertise in strategic HR, organizational development and talent management. Va Strat also specializes in business strategies, leadership planning and training development planning. VA Strat’s target markets include mid-market, small-medium businesses (SMB) and the public sector. George Taylor has 20 years of experience in the public and private sectors.