What do your supervisors need to know about performance appraisals and why performance appraisals are important? You can convey the following information to supervisors about performance appraisals and why performance appraisals are important:
For our organization to be successful, all of us need to be able to perform to the best of our abilities. We can do so only if we have adequate feedback and clearly defined goals. Performance appraisals are an essential tool for accomplishing these tasks. They offer a formal and official way to:
- Recognize accomplishments. Every company will define recognizable accomplishments differently, but it’s important to have a reward system in place.
- Guide employee progress. Effective performance appraisals continue to refine the initial job description of what is expected of employees as they learn new skills and gain experience.
- And, improve performance. Whether making good performance better or correcting poor performance, performance appraisals are an important step in identifying the situation and laying out the course for improvement.
Performance appraisals also provide the opportunity to:
- Review how well employees have met job requirements and goals;
- Set new performance goals, including additional responsibilities;
- Identify areas in which performance needs to be improved; and
- Discuss career advancement, including training opportunities and promotion.
The above information comes from BLR’s presentation ‘Conducting Effective Performance Appraisals’. For more information on all the training courses BLR has to offer, go to our Employee and Manager Training page.