Why do recruiters love Starbucks? It’s more than the blended drinks and the new, free Wifi. Blogger and recruiter Sue Corralz gives you her top reasons why the coffee chain is the perfect place for recruiters to hang out.
Corralz, blogging on Talent Terrace, a blog of Banyan & Jackson, LLC, provider of specialized recruiting and retention solutions, (www.banyanjackson.com), says these are the reasons why recruiters love Starbucks—in Letterman-like ascending order:
10. Recruiters can practice their multitasking skills by testing new Boolean search strings, watching [sports] streaming live, and eating their dunked biscotti without dripping coffee on their key board.
9. Recruiters can test for organizational fit by checking out what their candidates order.
8. Recruiters can give directions to a company’s interview site by using Starbucks store landmarks.
7. If you sit around long enough, you can learn a lot about the talent that visits the Starbucks store across the street from your competitor’s office. At least that’s the story you stick to when you explain to your manager why you are late to the office.
6. Have you ever interviewed a candidate who couldn’t hold up a conversation over a cup of coffee or tea? ‘Nuff said.
5. If you are interviewing a candidate at a Starbucks store, and your candidate flies off the handle when the Barista accidentally adds whipped cream to a no-whip order, consider yourself lucky that the company you are keeping is still a candidate and not a new hire.
4. You daydream about the clever job postings you could blend up, targeted to store specific visitors (aka geo-marketing), if Starbucks eventually goes the route of ad-based content to their network access landing page.
3. It’s easier to rationalize the health benefits of coffee compared to a super-sized something else when you are researching a sourcing strategy for a new client.
2. I’m always thankful to escape the chaos of a crowded airport boarding gate for some momentary peace over a cup of coffee and Internet access everytime my flights from Chicago O’Hare are delayed.
and the number one reason why recruiters love Starbucks …
1. They are a fun model of successful employment branding to track. Even if your corporate recruiting budget pales in comparison to this global brand, every business can surely pick up some practical employment branding ideas.
Corralz also suggests readers log onto the keynote presentation by Kat Drum of Starbuck’s Employment Branding Team on Using Social Media to Attract & Engage Passive Candidates.