Monster.com recently interviewed Jennifer Star, a New York City-based corporate recruiter and trainer, to get her take on the top ten things employees can do to get fired. Since you are looking at the topic from "the other side," see if you can think of some others.
- Lie on your job application or résumé.
- Be indiscreet about your job hunt.
- Gossip or take lots of personal calls.
- Make too many personal calls.
- Drink at work.
- Surf the Web excessively.
- Become romantically involved with your boss.
- Forget to double-check your figures when working with numbers.
- Alienate your coworkers.
- Point the finger at everyone but yourself:
Star has hit on some of the major reasons employees are terminated, but you may have some of your own. If you have anecdotes, additions, or observations, discuss them in the HR Forum here.