You may have seen news stories this week reporting that nearly one-third of employees surveyed admitted to calling in sick -- when they weren't -- at least once last year.
What you may not have seen are some of the most bizarre excuses for missing work that were collected by CareerBuilder in its September survey of 1,650 workers and 1,150 hiring managers nationwide.
Some of the excuses are lame, some are funny, and some seem just too strange to have been concocted. The top 15:
Source: PR Newswire
- Employee was poisoned by his mother-in-law.
- A buffalo escaped from the game reserve and kept charging the employee every time she tried to go to her car from her house.
- Employee was feeling all the symptoms of his expecting wife.
- Employee called from his cell phone, said he was accidentally locked
in a restroom stall and no one was around to let him out.
- Employee broke his leg snowboarding off his roof while drunk.
- Employee's wife said he couldn't come into work because he had a lot
of chores to do around the house.
- One of the walls in the employee's home fell off the night before.
- Employee's mother was in jail.
- A skunk got into the employee's house and sprayed all of his uniforms.
- Employee had bad hiccups.
- Employee blew his nose so hard, his back went out.
- Employee's horses got loose and were running down the highway.
- Employee was hit by a bus while walking.
- Employee's dog swallowed her bus pass.
- Employee was sad.