Mermaids are part human and part fish. An employer in Wales wants applicants who are part mermaid—and part janitor. And wait until you hear the job description—it includes the word “sharks”!
Talk about multitasking, Rhyl SeaQuarium has “a unique and exciting opportunity” for someone who:
- Can perform diving demonstrations
- Hold a Dive Certification
- Give presentations to large and small groups
- Communicate effectively with media and visitors
- Make public appearances and participate in photo ops
- Wear a custom-fitted Mermaid outfit
However, this is only half of the job description! The job duties also include:
- Interacting with marine life—including sharks
- Collecting eggs laid by the sea creatures
- Maintaining the 160,000 litre Ocean Display tank!
The company isn’t discriminatory; it will take consider hiring mermen as well, (we assume they’ll have a different costume). Interested applicants are told to fill in an online application.
The job is a “temporary fixed-term position with the possibility of extension to a seasonal position for summer 2011.”
The BBC is reporting that the SeaQuarium has been “flooded” with applicants, but it’s hard to believe that many people have all the qualifications. HRSBT wonders what the pay “scale” is.