We had a couple readers who wrote to us with some additions they'd like to make to the list of the most annoying workplace buzzwords and phrases. Here they are.
One reader sent us these three submissions that he thought were worthy of inclusion:
- Proactive--"essentially a non-word."
- Out of the box--"not 'thinking outside the box' but it seems to equate to 'from the beginning.'"
- 24/7--"a real teeth-gnasher. Why not use '8760', the number of hours in a year? Use 8784 for a leap year."
He concluded his email with: "I am sure there are others just waiting to be unleashed and used ad nauseam. Even a dead horse gets tired of being beaten."
Another reader sent us these two.
- Dialogue--:"e.g. we need to dialogue about that; did you dialogue with them."
- Transparent--"e.g. we have a culture of transparency. Honestly, why don't you just say open and honest?"
She concluded her email with: "Whew, glad to spit those up."